Sunday, April 8, 2012

Calves, calves, calves.....

It's been a busy couple of weeks with calving and getting into the field.  Then I threw a wrench in things and went for back surgery so was gone for 3 days and now am a little limited in what I can do.  I feel so much better, though!

In the days before I had to go for surgery, we had lots of calves and pairs to move and another calf we had to pull the night before I left.  I think M was feeling his age after tagging 9 calves on his birthday.  He has a tendency to get a little stressed and cranky.  I was seriously more worried about leaving him alone than I was about surgery.  I kept telling him to keep a cool head, that it didn't do anyone any good to get fired up, and to call someone if he needed help.  I was pretty sure he wouldn't call for help but had hope that he could remain calm.  He survived with no problems and did say that he heard my voice in his head a few times. 

The day after I got home I was on the 4-wheeler checking cows--pretty sure my doctor would not have thought that was a good idea.  My sister didn't either, but I assured her that I was slow and careful.  The hardest part is that I'm not supposed to bend over.  I've gotten good at flipping things up with my foot and grabbing them.  It really pays to have long arms!

We had a little blast of winter over the weekend.  On Good Friday we had rain, sleet, snow, wind...and thunder!  We were busy trying to make sure everything had some sort of shelter and that the cows with calves in the pasture didn't take off away from the wind.....and into the neighbor's pasture.  I was finally so tired and cold that I made M take me home.  R was on his way home so I told him he needed to get here and help his dad.  That night he checked the cows at 11 and M was up at 3 am for another check.  He had had to put one in the warmer just before dark so was a little concerned about how the night would go.  Thankfully, there was nothing born during the night, just one early in the morning that we put in the barn to warm up and dry off.  The storm didn't amount to as much as predicted so we were lucky there.  We were thankful to have some moisture even though now we will have to wade through slop for a couple of days.

Sadly, R goes back to South Dakota tomorrow.  We never have enough time with him.  I don't think he's crazy about getting put to work every time he comes home, but M doesn't want him to be bored!  I was thankful he was here as backup at least for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment